Become a CPA

Apply today


As part of your membership application, you will need to provide supporting documentation so that we can verify the information you have provided. You will be prompted to upload digital copies of your original documents as you go through the online application. Your personal outcome cannot be confirmed until all the required documents are provided and you have ticked the relevant statement boxes in the application.


You can upload high-quality colour scans of your originals in your application. To be accepted, your uploaded document must be:

  • a high-quality colour scan* of the original document, scanned using a printer scanner
  • in one of the following formats: JPEG, BMP, GIF, PNG, PDF, TIFF
  • between 1 and 10 MB in size
  • clearly named in English with a brief description.

*A high-quality scan is one that is clear, legible, and should be free from poor contrast, shadow, obstruction, blurry and with no cropping or pixilation. Before scanning, please ensure the scanner is set to a minimum of 300 DPI (dots per inch) to avoid low resolution scanning.

We can accept high resolution photos of your originals if they are clear (no shadow), legible and show all the document information.

We do not accept documents that are:

  • low-quality scans or scans of a photograph using Scanner or other scanner applications
  • scans of certified / copied documents
  • black and white scans
  • cropped, skewed, blurred, pixilated or altered in contrast or colour
  • encrypted or compressed files.

Documents submitted that are determined as unacceptable and requested for a re-scanned submission will delay the processing of your application.

If an original document is not in English, a corresponding official English translation by a professional translator must be provided. Both the original and the translated documents need to be provided.

List of documents



Transcripts can be from a tertiary degree, postgraduate tertiary degree or professional body qualification. We will only accept high resolution colour scans of official transcripts or certified digital transcripts such as those provided by My eQuals.
Exam Comments


If you have completed your degree, you will need to provide an official degree award certificate. If you have completed an accredited degree in Australia or New Zealand within the last 12 months, we can accept a completion letter that states the degree is ‘complete’.


If you haven’t completed the online identity verification, please provide one of the following:

Passport (ID page)
National ID card
Birth certificate
Drivers licence (with photo)


In either Australia or New Zealand, if you are acting as a principal in public practice, or undertaking any accounting services in your own right, you will need to upload the following information:

• details of your role and ownership
• outline of the services offered to the public
• confirmation that you hold a public practice certificate (PPC)

Find out more about public practice.


If you claim membership of an accounting or finance professional body, you will be required to provide a letter of good standing. The content of your letter should provide the following:

• the date you joined your professional body
• the date you achieved your current member status
• the date your membership fee is paid until
• confirmation that you are not a member of your professional body by virtue of a mutual recognition agreement
• confirmation that you are not subject to any disciplinary sanctions or investigation and have not been subject to any disciplinary sanctions.

Additional requirements apply to members of Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants. Find out more.

Some professional body pathways require evidence of professional work experience. Find out more about the required work experience.

Professional bodies

CPA Australia has affiliations with a range of leading professional bodies all around the world, meaning CPAs are internationally recognised. If you are a member or have undertaken studies with a recognised body, in most cases you can apply for an equivalent CPA Australia membership or exemptions from the CPA Program, via a range of mutual recognition agreements and pathways.