Become a CPA

Apply today

Frequently asked questions

CPA Australia membership


No, you will not need to complete additional continuing professional development (CPD) hours. However, you will need to report your CPD hours to CPA Australia and your professional membership body to meet your 120 hour requirement over the triennium (minimum of 20 hours each year) as stipulated by the International Federation of Accountants.

Yes. Members admitted to CPA Australia under an MRA will be able to maintain their membership even if the MRA expires. Members must maintain the membership subscription payments to both bodies.

No. Members wishing to sign audited financial statements, conduct public accounting services and act as a tax agent in Australia or New Zealand must obtain a public practice certificate to meet the additional requirements. If you have migrated to Australia within the last five years, you must also complete Australian specific company law and taxation law from a recognised university before you are eligible to apply for a public practice certificate. If you are in New Zealand, you must also complete specific New Zealand company law and taxation law subjects before you are eligible to apply for a public practice certificate.

CPA Australia accepts membership applications throughout the year. If you become a member after 31 March, you will only need to pay half the annual membership fee for that calendar year.

Membership pathway agreements are not recognised for migration skills assessments, and your migration assessment outcome may advise you to complete additional study that isn't required for membership.